Sunday, October 9, 2011

Occupy Wall Street

I've attended many protests in my day but the protest movement known as Occupy Wall Street is the most inspiring political happening in my adult lifetime. It would seem that the masses are finally mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore. I wish I had the will to take a vacation from my cushioned life and join the excitement but, even though I am one of the 99%, I am one of the 90% who is lucky enough to have a job and must work to keep it.


The coming together of so many diverse people, hundreds of whom sleep nightly in Zuccoti Park, with so much creativity in communal living makes me want to sell everything and join the movement as a full time protester. The corporate owned media paints the protesters as hippies, drop-outs and privileged liberal brats. In fact the masses at the protests are union members and regular lower and middle class citizens who are finally pissed off enough to let their voices be heard. They are teachers and librarians. They are grandmothers and grandfathers. They are construction workers and garbage collectors. They are people like you and me who believe in democracy and that banks and corporations have co-opted America.


The corporate owned politicians don't understand what the protest is really about. Eric Cantor calls the protesters "mobs" invoking all the negativism that word embodies. President Obama said that the protest "expresses the frustrations the American people feel", but he doesn't understand that he is part of the problem. I can guarantee you that the people who are occupying Wall Street are not supporters of Obama or the democratic party. As long as there are corporate campaign contributions there will never be a politician who fights for a true democracy of the people, by the people and for the people.


When your local peace activists announce a protest in your area join the movement and let your voice be added so the masses can at last be heard. I am determined to get off my ass and head off to Fayetteville, sign in hand, and join the protesters once again.




(the logo is by Drea Zlanabitnig and was "lifted" from the New York Times)




No comments:

Post a Comment